Monday, October 10, 2011

Spam



When I was at school the mandatory school dinners were not something you looked forward too. Except on the rare occasion when we had Spam fritters, deep fried Spam in batter served up with chips and Heinz baked beans. The whispers confirming we were getting the fritters that day started at something like 11 o'clock and soon spread around the 2000 kids at Holland Park Comprehensive, my school at the time. When the lunch hour finally came around it was complete chaos in the dinner line. There were never any seconds, every Spam fritter was eaten and looked upon as a gift from the Gods. Delicious.

10 comments:

  1. I'm the only person I know around here that eats Spam. I'll have to try it this way one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Matt,
    I couldn't think of anything more gross.
    Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's British cuisine, right there. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in the army... my favourite thing in the world was Fried Spam....... and, if you are ever in Calgary, go to Tubby Dog, they have a great Canned Meat display!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah right but I swear they never looked like that, more like greasy little orange coloured pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pan fried spam is a delicacy on the Canadian prairies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughing Spam Fritter was the henchman character in Budgie! Just saying, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing cool about spam, it is pure canned dog shit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. its not that I really liked it that much but compared to what else was on offer it was a little, greasy, slice of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slightly warm and sour 1/4 pint milk bottles with a straw at 10.30 then spam followed by pink blancmange. Child cruelty.

    ReplyDelete